CARSPHAIRN PARISH CHURCH

Times of Worship:
10.30am every Sunday


(except where is a 5th Sunday in the month when it will take
place in one of the other Churches in the Glenkens by rotation)
  
Minister: Reverend Dr. David Bartholomew, Tel 01644 430380

Session Clerk: Mrs Anna Campbell, Tel  01644 460208

Please note:  The Communion Service date of March 19th 2017 has been changed to April 2nd at 10.15.

 

Diary Date:  A Conventicle will be held on May 14th 2017 at Holm of Dalquhairn.  Time to be confirmed.

Carsphairn_Church_Newsletter_Mar_2017.pd[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [1.2 MB]

 

Carsphairn Parish Church, which was built in 1815 on the site of an earlier church, has one of the few central communion tables still in use in Scotland.
  

 

 

 


Other historical features include plaques to John Louden McAdam, who spent part  of his childhood in the parish and John Semple, who ministered through the  turbulence of Covenanting times in the late seventeenth century. The magnificent church bell that tolled from 1723 until 1881, when it fell to the ground (considered to be a bad omen for the incoming minister) has been restored and is on view in the church. Early Communion tokens are on display in the porch.

 

Outside, in the kirkyard which surrounds the church, many interesting gravestones can be found. These include one, just inside the gate, of a Covenanter and another of an ancestor of the Canadian soldier, John McCrae, who wrote the First World War poem "In Flanders Field". 

 

Other gravestones bear evidence of tragedy, high mortality rates, endeavour and emigration.

Unfortunately, in the last few years the building has not been open outside times of worship but a phone call to the Session Clerk will ensure that it will be open when required. We are proud of it, the peace within it, the feeling of the continuity of the history and we want to share it.
  
Carsphairn is a Church of Scotland (Presbyterian).  Everyone is welcome at our  services. Special services and other events occasionally take place in the hurch which boasts suberb acoustics. Details are available from the Session Clerk, on posters displayed in the Village Shop, or on this website.